Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Just crack it open.

Remember that girl that you walked by everyday who had her entire face inside a dictionary sized book?
That's me.
Looking back, I have no problem lugging a book inside my purse (I'm way to old school to afford/get a Kindle) and pulling it out when I have a few spare seconds.

Lately, I've been realizing how hard it is for me to pull out a new book and start reading, granted I thoroughly enjoyed my last "hot topic" book I read Water for Elephants. I'm very glad I picked it up, but I also have a bad habit of reading Harry Potter, Pride and Prejudice, and occassionally I will get out the Twilight series. Let me make all aware that I read Twilight when there was no Team Jacob or Edward. Thank goodness.

Anyways, I want to start reading things I have never read before. I want to open my eyes to the most beloved pages that have ever been looked upon in our history. Stories that my ancestors cried and fell in love when it was new.

I want to read this list.

  1. Don Quixote Miguel de Cervantes
  2. War and Peace - Leo Tolstoy
  3. Ulysses James Joyce
  4. In Search of Lost Time Marcel Proust
  5. The Brothers Karamazov Feodor Dostoevsky
  6. Moby-Dick Herman Melville
  7. Madame Bovary Gustave Flaubert
  8. Middlemarch George Eliot
  9. The Magic Mountain Thomas Mann
  10. The Tale of Genji Murasaki Shikibu
  11. Emma  Jane Austen
  12. Bleak House Charles Dickens
  13. Anna Karenina Leo Tolstoy
  14. Adventures of Huckleberry Finn Mark Twain
  15. Tom Jones Henry Fielding
  16. Great Expectations Charles Dickens
  17. Absalom, Absalom! William Faulkner
  18. The Ambassadors Henry James
  19. One Hundred Years of Solitude Gabriel Garcia Marquez
  20. The Great Gatsby F. Scott Fitzgerald
  21. To The Lighthouse Virginia Woolf
  22. Crime and PunishmentFeodor Dostoevsky
  23. The Sound and the Fury William Faulkner
  24. Vanity Fair William Makepeace Thackeray
  25. Invisible Man Ralph Ellison
  26. Finnegans Wake James Joyce
  27. The Man Without Qualities Robert Musil
  28. Gravity's Rainbow Thomas Pynchon
  29. The Portrait of a Lady Henry James
  30. Women in Love D. H. Lawrence
  31. The Red and the Black Stendhal
  32. Tristram Shandy Laurence Sterne
  33. Dead Souls Nikolai Gogol
  34. Tess of the D'Urbervilles Thomas Hardy
  35. Buddenbrooks Thomas Mann
  36. Le Pere Goriot Honore de Balzac
  37. A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man James Joyce
  38. Wuthering Heights Emily Bronte
  39. The Tin Drum Gunter Grass
  40. Molloy; Malone Dies; The Unnamable Samuel Beckett
  41. Pride and Prejudice Jane Austen
  42. The Scarlet Letter Nathaniel Hawthorne
  43. Fathers and Sons Ivan Turgenev
  44. Nostromo Joseph Conrad
  45. Beloved Toni Morrison
  46. An American Tragedy Theodore Dreiser
  47. Lolita Vladimir Nabokov
  48. The Golden Notebook Doris Lessing
  49. Clarissa Samuel Richardson
  50. Dream of the Red Chamber Cao Xueqin
  51. The Trial Franz Kafka
  52. Jane Eyre Charlotte Bronte
  53. The Red Badge of Courage Stephen Crane
  54. The Grapes of Wrath John Steinbeck
  55. Petersburg Andrey Bely
  56. Things Fall Apart Chinue Achebe
  57. The Princess of Cleves Madame de Lafayette
  58. The Stranger Albert Camus
  59. My Antonio Willa Cather
  60. The Counterfeiters Andre Gide
  61. The Age of Innocence Edith Wharton
  62. The Good Soldier Ford Madox Ford
  63. The Awakening Kate Chopin
  64. A Passage to India E. M. Forster
  65. Herzog Saul Bellow
  66. Germinal Emile Zola
  67. Call It Sleep Henry Roth
  68. U.S.A. Trilogy John Dos Passos
  69. Hunger Knut Hamsun
  70. Berlin Alexanderplatz Alfred Doblin
  71. Cities of Salt 'Abd al-Rahman Munif
  72. The Death of Artemio Cruz Carlos Fuentes
  73. A Farewell to Arms Ernest Hemingway
  74. Brideshead Revisited Evelyn Waugh
  75. The Last Chronicle of Barset Anthony Trollope
  76. The Pickwick Papers Charles Dickens
  77. Robinson Crusoe Daniel Defoe
  78. The Sorrows of Young Werther Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
  79. Candide Voltaire
  80. Native Son Richard Wright
  81. Under the Volcano Malcolm Lowry
  82. Oblomov Ivan Goncharov
  83. Their Eyes Were Watching God Zora Neale Hurston
  84. Waverley Sir Walter Scott
  85. Snow Country Kawabata Yasunari
  86. Nineteen Eighty-Four George Orwell
  87. The Betrothed Alessandro Manzoni
  88. The Last of the Mohicans James Fenimore Cooper
  89. Uncle Tom's Cabin Harriet Beecher Stowe
  90. Les Miserables Victor Hugo
  91. On the Road Jack Kerouac
  92. Frankenstein Mary Shelley
  93. The Leopard Giuseppe Tomasi di Lampedusa
  94. The Catcher in the Rye J.D. Salinger
  95. The Woman in White Wilkie Collins
  96. The Good Soldier Svejk Jaroslav Hasek
  97. Dracula Bram Stoker
  98. The Three Musketeers Alexandre Dumas
  99. The Hound of Baskervilles Arthur Conan Doyle
  100. Gone with the Wind Margaret Mitchell

{Taken on my phone}



As you can see, I own quite of the few books already, but I've never picked them up and read them aside from Pride and Prejudice. How can you not love that book? How could you not love Mr.Darcy?

Anyways, I have a lot to read! I am so excited because this is just one of the three lists! More to come. I just need to accomplish this one.

I feel so busy, but I'm loving it! 

A bientot!
Kristen

No comments: